Friday, March 5, 2010

Starting the Sork portrait

Aloha Ohana, Here's the first session on the newly commissioned Margaret & Patrick Sork portrait in oils. I began by mixing raw sienna & burnt sienna with the Thinner & stand oil medium that I mix together in a small can or jar as I need it. Then I apply that very loosely over the area that will be depicting skin and rub it in with a soft cloth. At this point I began to draw with the same two pigments plus raw umber, to get the general layout and proportions clearly indicated in the strokes. I work this stage until I'm happy with how it looks and feels to me
and then I take a short recess to just look a bit more at my reference photo and the painting from a ways back. I have my studio easle positioned so that I may see the work in progress from the area outside looking through the open doorway.

No comments:

Post a Comment