Sunday, January 25, 2009

Excellence not Perfection


Still not done with the portrait of Camille. I worked on it until midnight last night. It feels more like her now...Looks more familiar. I'm waiting for some feedback from her mother. I emailed her a photo this morning. I really do need to get back on my class description so I'll have a possibility of getting some students before it's time to start the classes. I think I have at least 6 different concept outlines in progress...I just need to sum it all up. I've even had help from one of my talented writer friends, but I'm still working on it. Maybe it will happen tonight! I have fear about the whole deal. Wondering whether I'm really capable of teaching people how to do better portraits. I suppose all I can really do is stimulate the idea that they can and will learn how to create the portraits they have in mind by adopting a slightly different way of seeing and connecting with their subjects. Spending more time preparing ourselves and our subjects to accomplish the objective of achieving a good likeness that is a part of a piece of finished art. Knowing when you're done is difficult sometimes, but there is no set standard. It's totally up to you. Unless your doing a commission for a perfectionist. I just strive for excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment